Did you know that there is a mathematical equation behind positivity? According to emotions specialist Dr. Barbara Fredrickson of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the key mathematical ratio to a fulfilling life is 3-to-1!
Now, you may be scratching your head and wondering how this could be true; well, as you are likely aware, human nature tends to focus more on the negative than the positive. To examine this notion, let’s envision ourselves at a piano recital. Your child is up on stage and performing well, when all of a sudden—oops! She hits a wrong note. Now, what do you think will stand out? That note of course! Never mind that she had been playing the entire piece perfectly up until then, adding emotion and musical nuances to the work; what we will tend to focus on is that one wrong note. Life works that way as well. On a daily basis, life serves up a constant diet of negativity: the news, advertisements, comments from colleagues, etc. Our duty, if we are to attempt to break this negative downward spiral in our minds, is to halt the negative pattern forming in our minds and alter it by feeding it a diet rich in positivity. This is where the 3-to-1 ratio comes in. In order for this to happen, Fredrickson explains that you need three positive actions in your life to counter the negative effects of one negative moment. These three positive moments help curb and correct the damage done by negativity.
Now, this formula did not come out of thin air! Fredrickson collaborated with Dr. Marcial Lossada and together they came up with the magic formula that identified the languishing from the flourishing. In other words, people who constantly had a 3-to-1 ratio of positivity in their lives flourished!
How can we get more of the good stuff in our lives?
As luck would have it, there are many strategies one can use to increase positivity in their lives:
– Start short meditation sessions. Ten minutes in the morning works well, and there are many great applications out there to help with that—I love Headspace!
– Make it a ritual to listen to positive affirmations before going to bed. Again, Think Up is a great app to help you in this department. When done consistently for a few months, the transformation can be quite incredible!
– Practice gratitude. Write down two to three things you are grateful for before going to bed. Many studies have found that adopting this simple practice every day can greatly increase life satisfaction.
– Help someone out. Lend a hand, volunteer and think of others. Seeing the gratitude on their faces will give you a big boost and make you feel incredible.
– Journal. Julia Cameron, author of The Artist’s Way, recommends doing Morning Pages—a practice of free writing for three pages to “empty out” the white noise in your head. This then gives you headspace to focus on other priorities.
If you want to know what your ratio currently is, Fredrickson created a site where you can take a daily test and chart your personal progress. Every day at roughly the same time, complete the check list and see what score you get; do this for a few weeks to get a good average going. To allow the program to compile your stats, you will have to create a free account, which is worth it because you will get some amazing resources along with it! Go to http://www.positivityresonance.com/survey.php to create a free account and have access to resources or to https://www.positivityratio.com/single.php to take individual tests.
So, there you have it! I hope this post will help open your eyes to all the little things that are positive in your life and help you ride their wave of positivity! I hope this post has been of service to you!
What strategies do you use to increase your positivity ratio? Please feel free to leave a comment in the reply box below!
Did you know???